1. Institutions may provide lower own funds requirements against positions in relevant closely correlated currencies. A pair of currencies is deemed to be closely correlated only if the likelihood of a loss — calculated on the basis of daily exchange-rate data for the preceding three or five years — occurring on equal and opposite positions in such currencies over the following 10 working days, which is 4 % or less of the value of the matched position in question (valued in terms of the reporting currency) has a probability of at least 99 %, when an observation period of three years is used, and 95 %, when an observation period of five years is used. The own-funds requirement on the matched position in two closely correlated currencies shall be 4 % multiplied by the value of the matched position.
2. In calculating the requirements of this Chapter, institutions may disregard positions in currencies, which are subject to a legally binding intergovernmental agreement to limit its variation relative to other currencies covered by the same agreement. Institutions shall calculate their matched positions in such currencies and subject them to an own funds requirement no lower than half of the maximum permissible variation laid down in the intergovernmental agreement in question in respect of the currencies concerned.
3. EBA shall develop draft implementing technical standards listing the currencies for which the treatment set out in paragraph 1 is available.
EBA shall submit those draft implementing technical standards to the Commission by 1 January 2014.
Power is conferred on the Commission to adopt the implementing technical standards referred to in the first subparagraph in accordance with Article 15 of Regulation (EU) No 1093/2010.
4. The own funds requirement on the matched positions in currencies of Member States participating in the second stage of the economic and monetary union may be calculated as 1,6 % of the value of such matched positions.
5. Only the unmatched positions in currencies referred to in this Article shall be incorporated into the overall net open position in accordance with Article 352(4).
6. Where daily exchange-rate data for the preceding three or five years — occurring on equal and opposite positions in a pair of currencies over the following 10 working days show that these two currencies are perfectly positively correlated and the institution always can face a zero bid/ask spread on the respective trades, the institution can, upon explicit permission by its competent authority, apply an own funds requirement of 0 % until the end of 2017.